I had been wanting to go to Biri Island since 2015 but none of my friends would dare join me. They said it was “The Island of No Return” because of magical creatures living there. It came to a point where I said to myself to not visit the island anymore. 2017 came when one of my best friends invited me to visit Caramoan. I recommended Sorsogon since I’ve never been there that time. She said yes and a thought came to my mind, why not go to Biri Island as a side trip? She said yes. Boom!
What to expect in Biri Island:
- No signal on some parts of the island
- Friendly townspeople
- There’s an excellent coordination between the tourism officers and the guides.
- You may choose to check-in Gloria Vista Home Stay (0921-611-7749) which is just a minute away from the port. The fan rooms are a-okay for budget travelers like me.
- You may contact the friendliest tourism officer in Biri Island, Ate Mel (0906 027 3259) to help you set your island day trip. Also, Kuya Anderson (0997 631 1195) for transportation queries within the island.
- Tell the tour officer to take you to Luwad. You have to try the spicy Adobong Sahang and their Tinolang isda. The food made me hug the lovely cook. ❤
There are 3 options:
Since this is a side trip and we only have 1 day to spend here, we planned to use Matnog, Sorsogon as our jump off point to Biri. From Manila, take a bus bound for Sorsogon – Take a jeepney to Matnog – Take a pump boat to Biri Island. It is important to be in Matnog Port as early as 6am on a Wednesday or Thursday. Estimated travel time is 17 hrs from Manila.
What we did: We were left by the boat to Biri Island so we had to take an alternate route. We had no choice but to take a roro from Matnog Port to Allen, Northern Samar – take a bus from Allen to Lavezares then take a pump boat to Biri Island. This is a longer route. It took us roughly 21 hours to get to Biri.
OR Fly to Catarman from Mnl – Take a bus bound for Lavezares, Northern Samar – Take a pump boat to Biri Island. This is way easier compared to what we did.
Total for this side trip is Php 3,350.
This isn’t what we did but I highly recommend this sample timetable:
9:00 am to 10pm – Bus ride from Manila to Sorsogon city
10:00 pm to 4:00 am – Rest. If you can go straight to Matnog at this hour, please do.
6:00 am to 8:00 am – Boat from Matnog to Biri Island
8:00 am to 9:00 am – Breakfast. Coordinate with the island Tour officers. Find a home stay. Check-in.
9:00 am to 5pm – Rock Formations, Sunset watching
5:00 pm to 5:30 – Go back to town proper.
6:00 pm – Dinner at Luwad.
6:00 am – Go to Port. Head back to Sorsogon.
8:00 am – ETA in Sorsogon. Journey continues here.
But I swear that the sites in Biri Island are so beautiful you’ll opt to stay 3 days to get to experience the island feeling. We weren’t able to go surfing here because the surf spot is all the way on the other side of the island. The sunset watching was so relaxing because you’ll be taken to an isolated place on the edge of the island. If you’ll spend more than 1 day here, try the sunrise watching on the top of one of the rock formations.